Sunday, September 1, 2013

On humility


During today's Mass, I realized that even if I don't read the Bible, there are certain gospel passages that I could consider favorites because of the way they resonate with me. Today's Gospel was one of those passages, mainly because its message still holds true today.

It was about taking your seat at a banquet, and how the Lord advises you against taking a seat at the presidential table, because if somebody of higher stature comes along, then you'll have to suffer the embarassment of getting kicked out of that table and slinking off to a normal table. It's better to sit at the lowest place then have the host give you an upgrade.

"Those who exalt themselves shall be humbled, and those who humble themselves shall be exalted." I love that phrase because it's so true. It feels so much better to have people recognize the work that you do without you calling any attention to yourself.

Now, the above quote is from the priest's homily, and I wasn't quite sure how it was related to the Gospel. But thinking about it, I realized it has to do with exalting yourself. Because when you see your talents as something that you worked hard for and developed all on your own, then you tend to become quite full of yourself and your accomplishments. A sense of entitlement is born too, and I really hate it when people have that.

But when you think of your talents as a gift from God, it makes you grateful. And when you have a grateful heart, it is difficult to be selfish. You naturally want to share with others, and so you end up using your talents for the good of other people.

Which, I guess, is what I've been trying to do with my blog so far. Yes, it's a personal blog. Yes, I talk a lot about what I've learned or what I've experienced. But I do it because my hope is that somehow, I will say something that means something to someone, or makes them think, or teaches them something. Words have the power to change lives, and I hope that my words will have a positive effect on others, even if I may never know their impact first-hand.

So, to whoever is reading this and wherever you may be, I hope I've said something to make this worth your while. Have a blessed week ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment