Monday, July 8, 2013

Life is short.


Somebody from the office just died. We weren't close, didn't even have to work together, but I knew she was young and therefore taken way too soon. She died because of a brain aneurysm and multiple heart attacks, and left a husband and two young kids behind.

I find myself tearing up at the realization that God can take you anytime, so quickly. It calls into question my own mortality: what have I been doing with this precious gift of life that I've been given?

You tend to go through life thinking you have so much time-- time to fulfill dreams, time to make decisions, time to meet up with friends. But the truth is, we never know if we do indeed have time. Maybe God laughs at all the plans we make because He knows better.

She was going to watch a movie with her kids that day she collapsed. She was fine on Friday, went about her work, gossiped with officemates. Then in just one weekend, everything changed. Her young family's life will never be the same.

Not that I ever doubted the saying "live each day as if it was your last", but this has put things into perspective and makes me take a look at my life and the way I spend each day. Do I show the people I love how much I love them? Do they know it and feel it? Do I go to bed happy, knowing that I did good today? Do I spend my energy on worthwhile endeavors?

Life is such a precious gift, and it shouldn't take someone's death to make me realize just how true that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment