Sunday, June 9, 2013

Coach Usher!

It's been a while since I actually followed a show on TV. "The Voice Season 4" has given me something to look forward to every week, especially on Sunday nights like these when I watch the marathon on AXN. It's the perfect way to end my weekend.

Aside from the incredible talent on the show (go, Michelle Chamuel!), what I love in particular is seeing the way that Usher has mentored his team. I've never actually been a fan of Usher (I was surprised to see that I have a lot of his songs on my iTunes-- not a conscious choice), but after this season, I'm definitely a convert.

What's fascinating about his coaching style is that it doesn't seem to come from a place of competition or strategy-- he just genuinely cares about his team and wants them to succeed. He seems to be looking at the longevity of their careers, giving them training that they will definitely carry even after the competition.

But what struck me the most is that he is willing to get down and dirty and do the work with them. He did pushups with Michelle Chamuel during one rehearsal. He worked out with his team, literally, and even got cool team jackets made:



And now that he has only one artist left in the running, his support for Michelle Chamuel is amazing.



It's so heartwarming to see a coach who really believes in you and your talent, will even shout it to the rooftops for you, and is so vocal in their praise and pride in you. It makes me think of the mentors I've had in my life, and while it sucks that the people who are in a position to be mentors have no desire to be one, I have found mentoring (and friendship) in unlikely places.

But, man, to be believed in and loved like this:


I wish I had a Coach Usher in my life.

**All photos from Usher's Instagram account (@howuseeit).

No comments:

Post a Comment